Author Topic: English Story  (Read 2314 times)

Description:

Offline minh1103

• Juventini
« on: November 04, 2005, 12:52 PM »
Có lẽ bất kỳ ai cũng từng đọc một vài mẩu chuyện ngắn viết bằng tiếng anh. Đôi khi chúng ta phải đọc bằng chính thứ ngôn ngữ của câu chuyện viết ra mới thấy hết được ý nghĩa của những từ ngữ mà tác giả muốn biểu cảm. Vậy tại sao mọi người không cùng chia sẻ những mẩu chuyện cảm động và đầy ý nghĩa như vậy. Những mẩu chuyện khi đọc xong luôn khiến người đọc phải suy nghĩ hay sáng ra một điều gì đó, đôi khi nó chỉ là những mẩu chuyện đơn giản vô cùng nhưng cũng mang ý nghĩa rất lớn với một vài cá nhân. Mẩu chuyện sau là một mẩu chuyện rất có ý nghĩa với cá nhân của minh1103, giờ post lên đây để chia sẻ cùng mọi người.

[div align=\\\"center\\\"]Love story[/div][/color]

Once upon a time, there was an island where all the feelings lived: Happiness, Sadness, Knowledge, and all of the others including Love. One day it was announced to the feelings that the island would sink, so all repaired their boats and left.

Love wanted to persevere until the last possible moment. When the island was almost sinking, Love decided to ask for help. Richness was passing by Love in a grand boat. Love said, "Richness, can you take me with you?" Richness answered, "No, I can't. There is a lot of gold and silver in my boat. There is no place here for you."

Love decided to ask Vanity who was also passing by in a beautiful vessel, "Vanity, please help me!" "I can't help you Love. You are all wet and might damage my boat." Vanity answered.

Sadness was close by so Love asked for help, "Sadness, let me go with you." "Oh....Love, I am so sad that I need to be by myself!"

Happiness passed by Love too, but he was so happy that she did not even hear when Love called her!

Suddenly, there was a voice, "Come Love, I will take you." It was an elder. Love felt so blessed and overjoyed that he even forgot to ask the elder his name. When they arrived at dry land, the elder went his own way.

Love realizing how much he owed the elder and asked Knowledge, another elder, "Who helped me?" "It was Time," Knowledge answered. "Time?" asked Love. "But why did Time help me?" Knowledge smiled with deep wisdom and answered, "Because, only Time is capable of understanding how great Love is."
Dont smoke today like the cigarettes...

Offline miss1612

• Guests of Honour
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2005, 03:54 PM »
The Power of Holding Hands
By Rabbi Harold Kushner

I was sitting on a beach one summer day, watching two children, a boy and a girl, playing in the sand. They were hard at work building an elaborate sandcastle by the water's edge, with gates and towers and moats and internal passages. Just when they had nearly finished their project, a big wave came along and knocked it down, reducing it to a heap of wet sand. I expected the children to burst into tears, devastated by what had happened to all their hard work. But they surprised me. Instead, they ran up the shore away from the water, laughing and holding hands, and sat down to build another castle. I realized that they had taught me an important lesson. All the things in our lives, all the complicated structures we spent so much time and energy creating, are built on sand. Only our relationships to other people endure. Sooner or later, the wave will come along and knock down what we have worked so hard to build up. When that happens, only the person who has somebody's hand to hold will be able to laugh.
[span style=\\\'color:green\\\'][span style=\\\'font-size:11pt;line-height:100%\\\']gắng sống đến bình minh[/span][/span]

Offline miss1612

• Guests of Honour
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2005, 03:58 PM »
Never Say Never

I cannot remember a point in my life when I desired anything other than becoming a teacher. As a child, I played school with my little cousins and friends just so I could practice for my future career. But what I didn't realize as a child was how expensive my dream was. I came from a middle-class family, and it seemed as though we'd always struggled to make ends meet. My dream of attending the University of Connecticut seemed so out of reach, but I wasn't willing to settle for anything less.
In the beginning of my senior year in high school, I began applying to colleges, but in my heart I had already made my decision. The University of Connecticut was the one. But a huge hurdle stood between me and my dream - lack of financial resources.
At first, I was ready to give up. I mean, who was going to give me, the average high-school girl, that kind of money? I wasn't the smartest person in my class, not even close; but my heart was in the right place, and I was determined. I knew that scholarships were only given to the really smart kids, or so I thought. I applied for every scholarship I could get my hands on. What did I have to lose? And then my guidance counselor told me about the financial aid system. I applied, but I didn't think I would qualify for that either.
After the holidays, my friends started receiving their acceptance letters from colleges, and I eagerly anticipated mine. Finally, a letter arrived from the University of Connecticut. Feelings of fear and joy overwhelmed me, but I was ready. I opened the envelope with trembling hands as tears engulfed my eyes. I had done it! I had been accepted to the University of Connecticut! I cried for a while, feeling both extremely excited and afraid. I had worked so hard to get accepted; what if I was denied admission because of my financial status?
I had been working a full-time job, but that was barely enough to pay for tuition. My parents couldn't afford that kind of money, and I wasn't going to pretend that they could. I was the first person in my family who would attend a university, and I knew how proud my parents were; but it was impossible for them to finance my education. However, my parents are incredible people, and they taught me never to give up on my dreams, regardless of the obstacles that I encounter, and never to lose sight of what I truly want out of life. My parents were right, and I continued to believe in both myself and my dreams.
Months went by before I heard anything from the financial aid office. I assumed that I didn't qualify for aid, but I wasn't ready to lose hope yet. At last, a letter arrived. I opened it eagerly, but it was a false alarm. The letter requested more information in order to process my application.
This happened over and over, and my hopes kept getting shot down. Finally, a bulky envelope arrived. I knew this was the one that would determine whether or not I could attend college. I opened the envelope and could hardly understand what any of the documents inside meant.
The following day, I brought the documents to school and asked my guidance counselor to take a look at them. He looked up at me with a huge smile on his face and told me that not only was financial aid going to help me out with my expenses, but I had also won two of the scholarships I had applied for! I was in shock at first, then I cried. I had actually made my dream come true.
I am now a junior at the University of Connecticut, pursuing a degree in English. In the beginning of the new millennium, my dream will become a reality. I will be a teacher.
I live by this quote: "Reach for the sky because if you should happen to miss, you'll still be among the stars."

“ Hãy vươn tới bầu trời , vì dù có thất bại bạn cũng được ở bên những vì tinh tú”
[span style=\\\'color:green\\\'][span style=\\\'font-size:11pt;line-height:100%\\\']gắng sống đến bình minh[/span][/span]

Offline New member

• Juventini
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2007, 07:22 PM »
[div align=\\\"center\\\"]A Brother Like That[/div]
[/b]
Paul received an automobile from his brother as a Christmas present. On Christmas Eve when Paul came out of his office, a street urchin was walking around the shiny new car, admiring it.

"Is this your car, Mister?" he asked.

Paul nodded. "My brother gave it to me for Christmas." The boy was astounded. "You mean your brother gave it to you and it didn't cost you nothing? Boy, I wish..." He hesitated. Of course Paul knew what he was going to wish for. He was going to wish he had a brother like that. But what the lad said jarred Paul all the way down to his heels.

"I wish," the boy went on, "that I could be a brother like that."

Paul looked at the boy in astonishment, then impulsively he added, "Would you like to take a ride in my automobile?"

"Oh yes, I'd love that."

After a short ride, the boy turned and with his eyes aglow, said, "Mister, would you mind driving in front of my house?" Paul smiled a little. He thought he knew what the lad wanted. He wanted to show his neighbors that he could ride home in a big automobile. But Paul was wrong again.

"Will you stop where those two steps are?" the boy asked. He ran up the steps. Then in a little while Paul heard him coming back, but he was not coming fast. He was carrying his little crippled brother. He sat him down on the bottom step, then sort of squeezed up against him and pointed to the car. "There she is, Buddy, just like I told you upstairs. His brother gave it to him for Christmas and it didn't cost him a cent. And some day I'm gonna give you one just like it...then you can see for yourself all the pretty things in the Christmas windows that I've been trying to tell you about."

Paul got out and lifted the lad to the front seat of his car. The shining-eyed older brother climbed in beside him and the three of them began a memorable holiday ride.

That Christmas Eve, Paul learned what Jesus meant when he had said: "It is more blessed to give..."

Translated:

[div align=\\\"center\\\"]MỘT NGƯỜI ANH NHƯ THẾ[/div]

Paul nhận được quà Giáng sinh của anh trai là một chiếc xe ô tô. Trong đêm trước Giáng sinh, khi Paul vừa ra khỏi văn phòng, một đứa trẻ lang thang đang đi lại xung quanh chiếc xe mới bóng loáng, vừa trầm trồ thán phục.

Nó hỏi: “Thưa chú, đây là xe của chú à?”

Paul gật đầu và trả lời: “Anh của chú đã tặng quà Giáng sinh cho chú bằng chiếc xe này”

Cậu bé kinh ngạc: “Ý chú là anh trai chú đã tặng nó cho chú, và chú không mất tiền mua à? Ôi trời, cháu ước là...” - cậu bé ngập ngừng.

Tất nhiên là Paul biết nó đang chuẩn bị ước điều gì. Chắc là nó ước nó có một người anh như thế. Nhưng những gì cậu bé nói khiến cho Paul choáng váng thực sự.

Cậu bé nói tiếp: “Cháu ước là cháu có thể trở thành một người anh như thế”

Paul nhìn cậu bé trong nỗi bàng hoàng, rồi bỗng nhiên anh hỏi cậu bé: “Cháu có muốn đi nhờ trên chiếc xe của chú không?”

“Ồ, có chứ ạ, Cháu rất thích!”

Sau một chuyến đi ngắn, cậu bé quay sang với đôi mắt sáng ngời, và nói: “Thưa chú, chú có thể đưa cháu về trước cửa nhà cháu không ạ?” Paul đã mỉm cười một chút. Anh cho là đã hiểu những gì thằng bé muốn. Chắc là nó muốn cho khoe với hàng xóm là nó đã được chở về nhà trên một chiếc xe ô tô to như thế. Nhưng một lần nữa, Paul lại sai.

“Chú dừng lại chỗ có hai bậc thang kia được không ạ?” - cậu bé yêu cầu. Rồi nó chạy lên cầu thang. Một lúc sau, Paul nghe thấy tiếng cậu bé quay lại, nhưng bước đi không nhanh lắm. Nó mang theo một đứa em bị què chân. Đặt đứa em xuống bậc thang cuối cùng, sau đó cậu bé vòng tay qua cậu em và chỉ vào chiếc xe:

“Kia kìa, Buddy, giống như anh vừa nói với em lúc ở trên gác đó. Anh trai chú ấy đã tặng quà Giáng sinh là một chiếc xe cho chú ấy, và chú ấy chẳng mất một xu nào cả. Rồi một ngày nào đó, anh sẽ tặng em một chiếc xe như thế... lúc ấy em sẽ tự mình thấy tất cả những điều tuyệt vời qua cửa sổ của ngày Giáng sinh về những thứ mà anh đã nói với em”.

Paul đã bước ra khỏi xe và nhấc cậu bé lên chỗ ngồi phía trước trên xe của anh. Cậu anh với đôi mắt ngời sáng trèo lên bên cạnh và cả ba người bọn họ bắt đầu một chuyến đi đáng nhớ trong kỳ nghỉ lễ.

Lễ Giáng sinh năm ấy, Paul đã hiểu được Đức Chúa Jesus đã có ý gì khi Người nói: “Người ta hạnh phúc hơn khi cho đi...”

Quà tặng cuộc sống
« Last Edit: December 26, 2007, 07:38 PM by New member »
Always new...

Offline New member

• Juventini
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2008, 01:12 PM »
[div align=\\\"center\\\"]NO CHARGE FOR LOVE[/div][/b]

A farmer had some puppies he needed to sell. He painted a sign advertising the 4 pups and set about nailing it to a post on the edge of his yard. As he was driving the last nail into the post, he felt a tug on his overalls. He looked down into the eyes of a little boy. "Mister," he said, "I want to buy one of your puppies."

"Well," said the farmer, as he rubbed the sweat of the back of ! his neck, "These puppies come from fine parents and cost a good deal of money."

The boy dropped his head for a moment. Then reaching deep into his pocket, he pulled out a handful of change and held it up to the farmer. "I've got thirty-nine cents. Is that enough to take a look?"

"Sure," said the farmer, and with that he let out a whistle. Here, Dolly!" he called.

Out from the doghouse and down the ramp ran Dolly followed by four little balls of fur.

The little boy pressed his face against the chain link fence. His eyes danced with delight. As the dogs made their way to the fence, the little boy noticed something else stirring inside the doghouse. Slowly another little ball appeared, this one noticeably smaller. Down the ramp it slid. Then in a somewhat awkward manner, the little pup began hobbling toward the others, doing its best to catch up.... "I want that one," the little boy said, pointing to the runt.

The farmer knelt down at the boy's side and said, "Son, you don't want that puppy. He will never be able to run and play with you like these other dogs would. "

With that the little boy stepped back from the fence, reached down, and began rolling up one leg of his trousers. In doing so he revealed a steel brace running down both sides of his leg attaching itself to a specially made shoe. Looking back up at the farmer, he said, "You see sir, I don't run too well myself, and he will need someone who understands. "

With tears in his eyes, the farmer reached down and picked up the little pup. Holding it carefully he handed it to the little boy.

"How much?" asked the little boy.

"No charge," answered the farmer, "There's no charge for love."

[div align=\\\"center\\\"]
I Can't[/div]

I was the quintessential "I can't" child - the poster child for the advancement of the word "can't."

Whatever my mother told or asked me to do was immediately followed by my whining, "I caaaaan't." Consequently, very few tasks or goals that I set out to accomplish were ever completed.

One evening, my mother called me into the family room where she was reading an article in the TV Guide. On the cover was a photo of Marlo Thomas, currently starring in the popular sitcom, That Girl. Mother knew that the show was one of my favorites and Marlo one of my show biz idols.

"I want you to read this article," Mother began. "It's about Marlo Thomas. She tells how a simple poem that she was forced to learn by her father changed her life. She went from saying, 'I can't' to 'I can!' According to this article, she was able to restructure her life, and eventually her career, by learning the principles in the poem."

Sensing a conspiracy between Marlo Thomas and my mother, I took the small magazine from Mother and looked down at the glossy pages. There was Marlo, looking perky and adorable. Her smile was radiant and her trademark shoulder-flip hair was styled to perfection. I thought it must be grand to be Marlo! Beside her photo was the poem my mother had spoken of; a simple poem entitled, "I Can."

"I want you to memorize that poem," Mother said firmly.

"Mamaaaaa," I belly-ached. "I can't learn that poem. It's too loooong."

"It's not too long and yes, you can learn it. I want you to know it perfectly by this time tomorrow."

One does not say "no" to my mother. She coined the phrase: "When I tell you to jump, you ask how high." She was the Queen of Dogwood Drive. I adored her, but this was going too far!

I slumped my shoulders, turned and trudged my way back to my bedroom with the magazine loosely held in my small right hand. With a heavy heart, I plopped on my bed, fell back against the cotton spread and began my task.

"Can't is a word that is foe to ambition," I began. I repeated the line. I repeated it again and again until it held firm in my heart. "An enemy ambush to shatter your will..." I continued the process until the following evening, when I proudly recited the poem that has continued to be my motto.

Ms. Thomas did not know me, but her story forever changed my life.

Saying, "I can," helped me to survive the worst moments of my life. Saying "I can" encouraged me to accomplish things I would have otherwise seen as out of my reach. A simple poem learned at seven is a poem that will sustain me to seventy-seven. Maybe even longer.

I CAN, by Edgar A. Guest

Can't is a word that is foe to ambition;
An enemy ambush to shatter your will.
It's prey forever to a man with a mission;
And bows only to courage, and patience, and skill.

So hate it with hatred that's deep and undying,
For once it is welcomed twill break any man.
And whatever the goal you are seeking, Keep trying!
And answer this demon by saying, "I Can!"

Bản dịch: Ở đây
« Last Edit: January 06, 2008, 01:13 PM by New member »
Always new...

Offline ^CIAO^

• JFC Wonderkid
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2008, 12:13 AM »
[div align=\\\"center\\\"]STOP AND THINK[/div]

Sometimes you read something and it makes you to stop and think...
---

There was a blind girl who hated herself just because she was blind. She hated everyone, except her loving boyfriend. he was always there for her. She said that if she could she the world, she would marry her boyfriend.

One day, someone donated a pair of eyes to her and then she could see everything, including her boyfriend. Her boyfriend asked her, "now that you can see the world, will you marry me?". The girl was shocked when she saw that her boyfriend was blind too, and refused to marry him.

Her boyfriend walked away in tears, and later wrote a letter to her saying
"JUST TAKE CARE OF MY EYES PLEASE"

This is how human change when their status changes. Only few remember their life before, and who has always been there on the most painful situations.

(St)

Ghost of a rose